Recipe: Mac + Cheese Monte Cristo
Because you NEED to recreate this gooey masterpiece at home.
Mac + Cheese:
- 200g raw macaroni noodles
- 250ml grated Gruyère
- 250ml grated Gouda
- 375ml 35% cream
- ½ vidalia onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 3 tbsp AP flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring cream to a simmer and steep with bay leaf, onion & clove for about 10 minutes.
- Toss grated cheeses with the flour.
- Raise the temperature on cream to a low boil and slowly whisk in cheese and flour mix until completely melted.
- Turn sauce down to low and allow to cook for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the macaroni in a separate pot of water. Strain finished sauce over hot noodles. Fold together and reserve.
Red Pepper Jelly:
- 600g roasted peppers, skins and seeds removed
- 4g chili flakes
- 150g white sugar
- 90ml white wine vinegar
- 4g kosher salt
- Bring all ingredients to a simmer and reduce by about half over low heat in a small pot. This should take about 30-40 minutes.
- Blend with immersion blender and chill thoroughly (ideally overnight).
- 8 slices of challah bread, sliced about 3 cm thick
- 16 slices of shaved mortadella
- 8 slices of aged cheddar (one slice should cover entire slice of bread)
- 3 whole eggs
- 250ml milk
- Nutmeg, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Whisk together eggs and milk, and season with grated nutmeg and salt to taste.
- Lay bread out in four sets of two. Lay one slice of cheese over each piece of bread. Fold mortadella in half, creating a rounded triangle, and lay two slices on each piece of bread.
- Place as much mac and cheese as you can onto four of the slices of bread, and top with opposite side.
- Soak each sandwich for about one minute per side in the egg and milk mixture.
- Preheat non-stick pan on medium and melt a dab of butter.
- Cook sandwiches as you would French toast, achieving a rich brown colour.
- Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 375f, until cheese is completely melted.
- Allow to rest for five minutes, slice and serve with red pepper jelly.
Pro-Tip: Add a sunny side egg on top and call it a Mac + Cheese Croque Madame!